It has been quite a while since I posted on this blog..not to say that I have not been cooking :-) Except I have taken to Instagram (I admit i got on there to stalk my daughter :-P) and it’s just easier clicking and posting on Instagram…of course the quality of phone pictures are not as great but it’s just easier and not all dishes require a recipe..everyone knows how to make the common dishes and not everything needs a recipe..sometimes a picture just gives you an idea, you drool over it and then you know what you want to make for dinner!!
However today’s dish is born out of innovation in my kitchen..made these super tasty paneer paninis the other day for a friend’s birthday party and they were an instant hit…I have had several asks for a recipe so i just thought maybe i should post :-)
You will need:
1 loaf Sourdough bread (or any panini bread of your choice)
1/2 cup Green Chutney (Green chutney recipe here)
2 Potatoes – Boiled, peeled and sliced into thick slices
1 large Onion – Chopped fine
Cilantro – Chopped fine
For the Paneer Filling:
2 Cups Paneer – Chopped fine or grated
1 Large Bell Pepper (or any colored peppers, i have used yellow and orange sweet peppers here) – Chopped into cubes
1 Large Onion – Chopped fine or into thin slices
1 Large Tomato – Chopped fine
1 Garlic pod – Grated (optional)
Ginger – 1 small piece grated
2 Green chillies – Chopped fine
Salt to taste
1/2 tsp Turmeric powder
1 tsp Red Chilli powder or Curry powder
1 tsp Dhaniya powder
1/2 tsp Jeera powder
1/2 tsp Garam Masala
For the Paneer Filling –
1. In a pan, heat 2 tbsp oil. Add the chopped onions and grated garlic and saute until golden brown.
2. Then add the chopped tomatoes and peppers and saute for a few minutes until the tomatoes are slightly mushy.
3. Then add all the dry powder and mix well. At this point add 1/2 tsp butter or ghee and mix well.
4. Add the chopped or grated paneer, salt and mix well. Saute for a few minutes until paneer is cooked and slightly golden brown.
5. Add the chopped green chillies, grated ginger and chopped cilantro and mix well.
To Assemble the Paninis:
1. Take 1 slice of the sourdough bread.
2. Spread 1 tsp of green chutney and top with the sliced boiled potato slices.
4. Sprinkle some chopped onions and chopped cilantro.
5. Cover with another slice and grill on a panini press until crisp and well done. Brush the top of the panini with some butter and grill just a few more seconds.
6. Serve hot..