Today’s quick recipe is a very traditional Indian style Potato Fry recipe. This typically tastes great with rice and sambar or rice and dal. Pretty much every Indian household makes potato fry or potato gravy – and there are numerous recipes for this humble dish. And every potato dish tastes different – usually the curry powder or chilli powder used gives it the distinguishing taste..
You will need:
Potatoes – 5
Red chilli powder – 1 tsp (alternatively you can use any curry powder)
Dhaniya Powder – 1/2 tsp (optional)
Turmeric Powder – 1/4 tsp
salt to taste
Garlic – Peeled and mashed roughly (optional)
1. Wash and chop the potatoes into halves. Pressure cook with the peel for 1 whistle. Peel and chop into large cubes. Alternatively, you can peel the potatoes and boil wiht plenty of water on stove top until cooked. Drain and keep the boiled potatoes aside.
2. In a saute pan, heat 3 tbsp oil. You can season with mustard seeds and urad dal if you wish at this point.
3. Add the hing and curry leaves.
4. Add the boiled potatoes and all the powders.
5. Add salt and mix well. Mix gently using a spatula and ensure the potatoes do not break.
6. Fry on medium heat stirring in between until the potatoes are semi crispy. Drizzle oil in between if you would like it more crispy. This is by no means a healthy recipe 🙂
7. Add crushed garlic at the end and saute for 2 more minutes.
8. Serve hot as a side to roti or rice.