This recipe is quick fix lifesaver if you are looking for a simple, flavorful dish to serve as a side to Roti or Rice. Thanks to my friend Anitha for sharing this recipe, this dish is now a regular feature on my menu..
You will need:
Green Beans – String and chop (or if you are pressed for time the frozen beans work fine too)
Garlic – 2 pods; Peel and mash roughly
Dry Red chillies – 2; broken into pieces
Salt to taste
Besan or Gram Flour – 2 tbsp
Turmeric Powder – 1/2 tsp
Oil, mustard seeds, cumin seeds (jeera), Hing or Asafoetida, 1 tsp urad dal, Curry leaves
1. In a pan, heat the oil. Add seasoning ingredients one at a time. Allow the mustard seeds to splutter and the urad dal to turn golden brown.
2. Add the dry red chillies and the garlic and fry for a minute.
3. Add the chopped green beans and 1/2 tsp turmeric powder. Add salt to taste and mix well.
4. Add about 1/2 cup water, cover with a lid and cook until the beans are cooked and tender. Allow all the water to evaporate.
5. Add the gram flour/besan and mix well until the besan coats the green beans. Fry for 5 minutes on medium heat until the raw smell of the besan is gone.
6. Serve hot with roti or rice.