Another South Indian style quick fix breakfast dish, this Vermicelli Upma takes under 10 minutes to make. I make all these dishes sometimes even during the evening for a quick snack or an early dinner. My friends here love to drop by my home because they know I can whip up some quick upma variety and make them a hot cup of filter coffee anytime 😛
Delicious Vermicelli Upma
You will need: (Serves 2)
Vermicelli – 1 1/2 cups (or 3 handfuls) – I use Anil brand (but even Bambino or any brand works fine)
Water – 3 cups
Onions – 1 Medium – Peel, Wash and Chop fine
Tomato – 1 Small – Wash and Chop fine
Green Chillies – 3 – Wash and Chop fine
Curry leaves – few
3 tbsp Oil
1/2 tsp Mustard seeds
1 tsp channa dal
1 tsp Urad dal
Hing/Asafoetida – a pinch
Fresh Cilantro / Coriander Leaves – Wash and chop fine
Fresh grated coconut – 2 tbsp
1. Chop the onions, tomatoes and chillies.
2. In a saucepan boil the water.
3. Meanwhile, in a pan, heat the oil and season with hing, mustard seeds, channa dal and urad dal. Allow the dals to turn golden brown.
4. Add the chopped onions, green chillies and curry leaves and saute until onions are tender and golden brown.
5. Then add the chopped tomatoes and a pinch of salt and saute until mushy for 2 minutes.
6. Add the vermicelli and mix well until slightly roasted. Add salt and mix.
7. Add the hot boiling water until it just covers the vermicelli and cook covered until all water evaporates.
8. Garnish with chopped cilantro and grated coconut and serve hot.
Tasty and Delicious Vermicelli Upma Ready!!
Thanks for stopping by!!