Today’s recipe is a quick rice dish. This Navratri has been busy with Golu hopping from one home to another and eating a lot of sundal!! 😛
Decided to make this Spicy Rice dish instead of the regular sundal for “Neivedyam” or Offering for my pooja. Started out making “Yellorai” or “Ellodharai” – which is by the way is one of my favorite quick fix rice prasadams to put together. And not to mention it is also Krishna’s favorite (Like in Lord Krishna 🙂 )
But, I added some additional spices and made this slightly different and it tasted superb! Made a slightly bigger batch to serve visiting friends that evening.
Unfortunately, i did not take step by step pictures. Will have to take them when I make this again next time. Until then, here’s the recipe 🙂
Hot Spice Mix Rice (Just gave it a random name 🙂 )
You will need:
2 cups Sona Masoori Rice (If you want to make a smaller batch adjust accordingly)
Citric Acid crystals – 1/4 tsp or you may use juice of half a lime
1/2 tsp Turmeric Powder
a handful of curry leaves
3 tbsp Seasame Seed Oil or Til Oil
1 tsp Mustard seeds
1 tsp channa dal
1 tsp Urad dal
1 tbsp broken cashew
1 tbsp Ghee or Butter
For the spice mix:
2 tbsp Black Sesame Seeds (Black Til, Black Nuvvulu)
2 tbsp White Seasame Seeds (While Til, White Nuvvulu)
4 tsp Urad Dal
4 tsp Jeera or Cumin
2 tsp Black Pepper
8 Dry Red chillies
1. Cook the rice in an electric cooker. I use the ratio 1 cup Rice: 2.5 Cup water.
2. After the rice is done, spread the rice in a large platter or mixing bowl and cool.
3. To this rice add turmeric powder, citric acid or lime, salt to taste and some raw curry leaves. Mix gently and keep aside.
4. Meanwhile, In a pan add group 1 ingredients up above and dry roast until the seasame seeds start to pop. Ensure that they dont burn. Once they start popping transfer to a plate.
5. In the same pan add Group 2 ingredient i.e Urad dal, add a few drops of oil and roast until golden brown. Ensure not to burn the dal.Once golden brown, remove onto the plate along with the toasted sesame seeds/ til.
6. In the same pan, add Group 3 ingredients and few drops of oil and roast for 2 to 3 minutes. Cool along with other roasted ingredients.
7. Dry grind all the roasted ingredients in a food processor or mixer. Grind into a almost smooth powder.
8. Mix this dry powder with the already prepared rice from Step 3 above. Add salt as needed and mix.Add the seasame seed oil / til oil and gently mix into the rice. The powder and oil should be mixed well into the warm rice and should be well coated.
9. In a pan, heat the ghee (you may use oil if you prefer). Season with mustard seeds, some more hing, urad dal, channa dal and broken cashew. When the dals are golden brown, add a few curry leaves and broken dry chilli pieces. Mix well and pour this seasoning on the rice and mix well.
10. Serve delicious hot spice mix rice!!
A Request to my readers, if you do try any recipes I would love to hear from you. Nothing keeps a blogger going more than the feedback from their readers. Look forward to hearing from you.