This simple, flavorful Biryani style rice is super easy to make and great for a hurried weekday lunch or dinner. Of course, this recipe came about while I was trying to finish up some fresh methi leaves and cauliflower that was lying in my refrigerator!
You will need:
1/2 to 1 cup Fresh Methi or Fenugreek leaves – This is optional, but the methi adds a very wonderful flavor to the rice; Wash and chop
Rice – 2 cups (I used Sona masoori, you may use Basmati too)
2 medium sized Onions – Peel, Wash and Chop
3 to 4 green chillies – Slit or coarsely mash in a mortar and pestle
Garlic – 3; Peel and mash roughly
1 Tomato – Wash and Chop into cubes
Cauliflower – 1.2 head; Break into florets, wash and blanch in hot water; Drain and keep aside
Salt to taste
3 tbsp Oil
1 tsp Turmeric Powder
1 tsp Red Chilli/Dhaniya Powder or Curry Powder
1 tsp Dhaniya powder or Coriander powder
1/2 tsp – Garam Masala (I used a homemade powder of roasted cinnamon, cloves, elaichi and mace)
1 tsp Pav bhaji masala
1. Wash the rice and cook in an electric cooker. I use the ratio 1 cup Rice to 2.5 Cups water for Sona Masoori Rice or 1 cup Rice to 1.5 cups water for Basmati Rice. While the rice is cooking you can prep all the other ingredients.
2. In a saucepan, bring 4 cups water to boil. Break the cauliflower into medium sized florets, wash and put it into the saucepan with boiling water. Add about 1 tsp salt to this water. Cover with a lid for about 5 mins. Drain. Keep aside.
3. Chop the onions, tomatoes, crush the garlic and green chillies and keep aside. Wash the methi leaves and chop and keep aside.
4. In a pan, heat 3 tbsp Oil. Add a small piece of cinnamon, 2 to 3 cloves, bay leaf and saute. Add the chopped onions, garlic, methi leaves and green chilli and fry until the onions are golden brown.
5. Add the chopped tomatoes, the dry powders and 1/2 tsp salt and saute until the tomatoes are mushy and the mixture is oily. At this point add the garam masala powder and mix well.
6. Add the blanched cauliflower and mix well. Add about 1/2 cup water close with a lid and cook for about 5 minutes until all the water evaporates.
7. Add the cooked rice at this point, salt to taste and 1/2 tsp garam masala powder. Mix well. Then add the pav bhaji masala powder and mix well.
8. You can add 1 tsp ghee at this point for flavor. Garnish with chopped cilantro and serve hot.
Hope you enjoyed this recipe!! Thanks for stopping by.