We eat Rotis/chapathis in my home on a daily basis. It is our staple dinner on most nights. Over the years to make it more interesting and to ensure my kids eat their dinner well, I have learnt and innovated so many side dishes or curries. I am sure you would agree with me that an interesting or flavorful sabji would make your chapathi dinner delicious 🙂
This curry is one such innovation in my kitchen. It is an interesting blend of whole moong or whole mung beans, spinach and spices. I typically use Chinese Spinach also Amaranth Greens or “Thotakura” / “Dantina Soppu” / “Tandulto” / “Thandu Keerai”. But you can also use regular spinach/palak and this curry will taste just as good.
You will need:
1 cup Whole Green Moong
1 bunch Amaranth Greens or Chinese Spinach – Wash and chop fine
1 Medium Onion – Chop fine
1 Medium Tomato – Chop into cubes
1 small piece ginger – grated
1 Garlic – grated (optional)
3 green chillies – Chopped lengthwise
1 tsp Curry Powder or Sambar Powder
1/2 tsp Turmeric Powder
1 tbsp grated fresh coconut (optional)
Salt to taste
To Season: Oil, Hing, Mustard seeds, cumin seeds
1. In a microwave safe dish, place the whole green moong and microwave for 1 minute until slightly roasted. Wash. Place in a pressure cooker or pressure pan, add enough water and 1/4 tsp turmeric powder and cook for 3 to 4 whistles. Cool
2. Meanwhile chop all veggies and keep aside.
3. In a pan, heat oil. Add mustard seeds, cumin seeds and hing/asafoetida. Allow to splutter.
4. Add the chopped onions, green chillies and grated ginger-garlic and saute until the onions are golden brown.
5. Add chopped tomatoes, turmeric powder and a pinch of salt and saute well until tomatoes are mushy.
6.To this add the chopped spinach, curry powder or sambar powder and saute. Then add about 1 cup water and cook covered until the spinach is cooked for about 8 to 10 minutes.
7. Then add the cooked whole green moong. Add any moong water also. Do not discard.
8. Add salt if needed and allow to cook for 5 to 10 minutes until the curry comes together.
9. Add grated coconut and mix well.
10. Serve hot with Rotis.
Thank you for stopping by!